Site of a gold rush between 1880 and 1883. The first claim was registered on September 17, 1880 and by mid October Montreal was bigger than Bermagui.
The diggings extended from Camel Rock in the north to Keating Headland in the south and it was one of only two coastal goldfields in the Southern Hemisphere. Now all that is left are well-preserved mineshafts and the stories of frenzied digging and mysterious disappearances.
A guided tour is held everyday at 2.00 p.m. from the carpark (entry is by guided tour only). No need to book ahead except for groups of more than 15, when booking is essential. For more information, contact or visit the Bermagui Visitor Information Centre.