If you thought Beechworth was just about an untouched gold rush streetscape, fabulous local produce and boutique shops & accommodation then think again!
Beechworth Gaol Unlocked reveals Beechworth’s less well known history, one that’s rich with tales of great escapes, betrayal and even romance – all within the walls of the gaol.
The site has been used as a place of incarceration since 1855, continuing until the closure of HM Beechworth Prison in 2004.
The Gaol is now open to the public revealing a time capsule – allowing the buildings to tell their story.
Our costumed prison warder guides reveal the site’s colourful past through four different 60-90 minute walking tours as you…
- Take the place of remand prisoners for a welcome tour of the gaol
- Get introduced to life in gaol in the 1860-70’s
- Climb one of the four guard towers and take in views over the gaol & Beechworth
- Visit Ned Kelly’s cell
- Walk the condemned man’s walk & hear about the eight men who dropped to their death on the gallows
- Visit Ned Kelly’s cell
- Visit Ned’s mothers cell
- Enter the Gaol kitchen
- See secret exercise yards
- Hear about Kelly family inmates
- Meet Ned’s Executioneer
Night Time Turnkey’s Tour
- Experience the Gaol by night if you dare!
- Visit cells protected by the spirit of lost souls, encounter ghostly shadows, solitary confinement cells, the gallows which saw the demise of 8 men & autopsy tent as well as other well hidden parts of the gaol
- Hear stories of the 4 executioneers who plied their trade here as you help our Gaoler lock down the Gaol for the night
- Gain access to areas not seen on other tours
- Hear the theory behind paranormal phenomena
- Learn to operate the latest technology in tracking paranormal activity
- Get a background briefing on the Gaol history and key historic figures
- Tour the parts of the Gaol with a history of paranormal activity
- Set up and operate the equipment to detect any paranormal activity
- Gain access online to the results of the field activities during the tour
Beechworth Gaol offers a number of school packages from one to four days inclusive of accommodation and a full itinerary of exciting but educational activities centered around crime and justice, the gold rush, Australian history and science.
Meeting, Conference & Function Venue
Beechworth Gaol offers a variety of areas suitable for all occasions. With a fully equipped business centre offering board and meeting rooms with audio visual facilities available to be packaged with catering and private tours.
Crime Scene Gift Shop
Australia’s only crime & justice themed gift shop perfect for that killer gift:
- Books on true crime
- Crime scene kits
- Fingerprint kits
- Murder mystery games
- Together with a whole range of quirky crime & justice themed products that make fabulous gifts.
Beechworth Gaol Unlocked
Corner Ford & William Streets
Beechworth Victoria 3747
Tel: 1300 PRISON (1300 774 766)